Thursday, April 1, 2010

Setting up for LIMACON is hard to do...







I'm trying to get a handle on what kind of room I will have for my "Look Ma, No Calculator" demo/workshop at LIMACON (Long Island MAth CONference 4/16/2010 SUNY Old Westbury).  


I've been trying to secure some sort of computer room where I at least have a PC Podium to hook up my laptop and demo what I do in class on a PC Projector. I can't get a straight answer as to whether I will have such a set up or not. I need an internet connection too. I want to show off SAGE via Firefox, Chrome or Safari.


I would like to simulate the setup I had at Nassau Community College for my summer class.  Their PC Podium had 3 wired connections for my laptop: (1) internet, (2) video output and (3) audio output. Then I could demo what I did last summer (see a sample from my current Calculus class above). Ideally, I'd like the participants to have their own PC and internet connection so they could follow along. I guess you'd call that a workshop?


Everything else would be set up ahead of time on my laptop. I've finally decided that there's 7 components necessary for my "youtube recording studio."


(1) I need some sort of pen app.  I will be using Smart Notebook, but there's plenty of free open source solutions out there. For example,http://xournal.sourceforge.net is very nice and its cross platform. I use Xournal in Windows and Linux. Both Smart Notebook and Xournal can export notes to pdf format.


(2) You also need a mic. In class I usually use a wireless mic. However, when I'm on the road with my laptop I can use an integrated mic. Its right on my display screen next to an integrated webcam. I don't use the webcam, I just record a screencast with my voice, but I might look into the benefits of using a webcam too in the near future.


(3)  I have used Smart Recorder in the past to record the screencast but I don't like the wmv video format it renders. So, I will be usinghttp://www.screencast-o-matic.com which produces mp4s. mp4s are much more portable, all you need is quicktime to view them and my students can view them even on the Mac platform. Also, if you want to upload the screencast to youtube, mp4s work great!


(4) You want a reliable tablet or remote mouse. I use the Smart Airliner Slate (Wacom Graphire 6x8) but I'm looking to upgrade to a full-blown PC Tablet like the HP Slate. So, I'll need a PC Podium for the HP Slate just like the one I use in the summer for my classes in Baldwin SHS. BTW, I connect the Smart Airliner via bluetooth to my laptop using a bluetooth USB dongle. The problem with the Smart Airliner is that you can't see what you write on the tablet itself....


(5) While you are recording, you probably want a PC Projector to show your students what you are doing live. Some decent speakers would be nice too if you are using a video or audio clip.


(6) I use some sort of Graphing Calculator emulator like VTI or a PC based CAS like SAGE for solving equations and graphing. TI-Smartview or TI-Interactive would be good too!


(7) Of course, you probably want an internet connection so you can use http://www.google.com or http://www.youtube.com or http://www.sagenb.org as needed.


Well, that's all for today folks! If you are interested in any of the "teaching and learning with technology" stuff, why don't you come see my demo/workshop at LIMACON? 


Part I: Introduce myself.  Hand out flyer, SAGE CD and business card. Show my website, youtube channel and this blog.


Part II: Write a Quad program the old fashioned way on a TI-83 using VTI. I will also make a sample screencast of this part to explain how this works.


Part III: Write a Quad program on SAGE to show a PC based CAS!







Teaching with Technology, 

No comments:

Post a Comment