Friday, February 1, 2019

I grok Spock! I really, really do! And Spock groks me?



We interrupt our regularly scheduled blog post about Math and CS class to pay our respects to a great actor, poet, photographer, artist and activist. I speak of course of the passing of the one and only Leonard Nimoy. 



Mr. Nimoy, perhaps best known for his portrayal of Mr. Spock in Star Trek The Original Series TV episodes and movies, passed Friday 2/27/15 due to complications related to COPD. Leonard was buried on Sunday 3/1/15 and I sat shiva, in spirit. 



At the time, I could not bring myself to write my regular blog post after such a shock. I knew he was in the hospital and that he was suffering with COPD for some time, but I had no idea he was near death! 



Mr. Nimoy was such an inspiration to many people of my generation.  He inspired many fellow artists. He was very active in the Orthodox Jewish community. Last, but not least, I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that he inspired an entire generation of new scientists.



I grew up with Star Trek on TV and NASA's Apollo missions to the Moon. If it weren't for Leonard, I may not have pursued a career in the Sciences, much less become a teacher of STEAM. I owe a lot to Mr. Nimoy. Growing up, he was one of my idols. Due to his positive example in my life, I was very much like Spock: stoic, intellectual and confident. Over the years, after installing, troubleshooting and reinstalling PC Labs over and over, I think I've gravitated more toward Chief Engineer Scotty: "The Miracle Worker." I know my son, the doctor, was influenced by Bones McCoy. However, I myself, learned a lot from Spock.



Of course, Mr. Nimoy is also known for his work on The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Night Gallery and In Search Of TV episodes as well as several movies. He even made several records including one with a song about the hobbit of hobbits, Bilbo Baggins! Leonard is also known for recordings about teaching and sharing his Jewish faith.



Mr. Nimoy, ever humble, accomplished quite a bit during his lifetime. Leonard came from a modest family which emigrated from Russia to the Bronx. His father was a barber. His family did not think that acting would be the best carrer choice for him, but I am grateful he made that choice.



I never met Leonard. I wish I had. I have seen him on YouTube at several conferences. I did meet George Takei, Majel Barret Roddenberry and Harlan Ellison at I-CON, but that's as close as I got to the Star Trek Legends. The last time we saw Mr. Sulu, my eldest son was a teenager. He had the bright idea of getting hold of Mr. Takei's tea cup that he drank from during his Q&A so we could sell it on E-Bay in the early days of online auctions. However, someone else beat us to it.... 




Here's two of his last posts on his Twitter feed:




"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"



Well, that's all I have to say for now. I find that I am uncharacteristically at a loss for words. So, let me just leave you with some remembrances from my Twitter feed and Facebook wall: 












, ? No more, Mr. will be missed! Check out this great video I am watching over at

Well, that's all folks.


Generally Speaking,

1 comment: