Wednesday, July 1, 2020

MAT225 - Multivariable Calculus: Getting Organized! (SSII 2020 - WEEK00)

MAT225 - Multivariable Calculus:
Getting Organized!
(SSII 2020 - WEEK00)

What About Elementary Calculus?

Welcome to my Summer Session II (July) MAT225 Multivariable Calculus aka Calc III class at Nassau Community College! I'm devoting the month of June to getting organized to teach this class. This is a bear of a course to teach in 5 weeks, so we have to get ready!

To that end, I just wrote my syllabus and set up my Blackboard page and Zoom meetings for this course and sent a mass email to all my students about joining my Blackboard. I also rewrote all my Class Notes, preTESTs, TESTs and Solution Sets! I used Squid a lot to write my notes. I'm going to use Squid to grade my tests too! Students can use Squid to write their tests solutions directly on the pdf I send them or they can print the TEST and use CamScanner to make a pdf to email their solutions back to me. 

I'm using Blackboard Email, Kaltura Video, Quickly Attendance and Quickly Grade Center extensively this summer since we are stuck working remotely during the COVID19 Pandemic.

What about Elementary Calculus? Well, I find that students taking this course tend to be a little rusty on concepts from Calculus I & Calculus II especially if they took those courses a while ago. Since Calculus III extends many concepts from Elementary Calculus (MAT122+MAT123 or AP Calclus AB+BC) to higher dimensions, I suppose that a little review is in order. So, we will start most classes (not testing days) with a short review of an important topic from Elementary Calculus (Limits & The Difference Quotient, Product Rule and Quotient Rule, Chain Rule, etc).

We will meet for 3 hours per night, 4 nights per week for 5 weeks straight from Monday 6/29/2020 to Thursday 7/30/2020. The first 2 days of each week will be devoted to new material. The 3rd day will be devoted to review in Zoom Breakout Rooms! The fourth day will be reserved for review and testing.

What follows is a summary of the first few posts I sent to my students on Blackboard:



FYI #1) Please make sure to download, print and return the attached form before our first meeting on 6/29!

FYI #2) TI83/84 are fine for Elementary Calculus but we need more powerful tech: 3D Grapher and Computer Algebra System. I've used graphing calculators such as the TI89/92 line as well as the TI nSpire CX CAS but even these devices are limited. So, we will primarily be using SageCell in class.
(Ti84C)

FYI #3) Since we will be using SageCell in class, I encourage you to use one Laptop or Tablet to follow the lecture plus another device to use for SAGE calculations. 
(SAGE Banner)


FYI #4) You may use the graphing calculator of your choice for basic calculations (algebra, trigonometry, preCalculus, Elementary Calculus) but you will want to use SageCell for Multivariable Calculus. SageCell is based on FLOSS. I use FLOSS every day, do you? FLOSS stands for Free Linux Open Source Software. Paramount among these software packages is Python. We will be learning Math Pythonically! SageCell is free to use online so you can access it in class and at home. There's a commercial version of SAGE called CoCalc if you prefer, but it costs $5 per month per user. Both of these systems run in the cloud, aka Google Compute Platform (GCP).
(Sample SageCell)

FYI #5) I will record ScreenCasts in class using MP4 format whenever I cover a new topic using Screencast-o-matic on my Chromebook. I will also be sharig these files via Kaltura on Blackboard.
(Screencast-O-Matic)

FYI #6) Our room was supposed to be B218 which is a large lecture hall spanning 2 stories of the B Cluster. The A/C is pumped in from the roof of the building and is very strong. Cool air tends to pool in the lower level of the room, please dress warmly. This doesn't matter anymore since were working remotely from home!
(Kindle Fire HDX Tablet)

FYI #7) So, if I'm not using the MarkerBoards/WhiteBoards in B218, we'll need an IWB (Interactive WhiteBoard aka SmartBoard), right? Nope, we don't have a SmartBoard, so I was going to mirror (with TeamViewer or SplashTop app) my PC Desktop to my Samsung Galaxy NotePro 12.2 Android Tablet or Samsung Chromebook Plus and write on my Tablet as if it were a SmartBoard! Now I have a Zoom studio at home made up of 3 Chromebooks instead (one for my notes, another to broadcast the lesson to you and a third to monitor what you see on your end)
(My Desktop - B218 Front)

FYI #8) B218 also has a PC Media Center/Podium with multiple PC Projectors and HDTVs so you can see everything I do on my PC even if you sit in the balcony! I was going to be doing everything on my PC so you wouldn't miss a thing if you sit in the upper level or if you miss class (aka on the ScreenCast).
(Your View - B218 Rear)

I got you covered!
Hope that was helpful!
See You in July!

Well, that's all folks.

Generally Speaking,
A. Jorge Garcia

 
Applied Math, Physics and CS
www.patreon.com/calcpage2020

www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

calcpage.redbubble.com

society6.com/calcpage






2015 NYS Secondary Math PAEMST Nominee


Teaching with Technology, 
pastebin youtube slideshare 
mathforum apcommunity sage

(IDEs & Code)
MATH 4H, AP CALC, CSH: SAGECELL
(Curriculae)
CSH: CodeHS
APCSA: Big Java
APCSA: CSAwesome

RECOMMENDED AP COMPSCI REVIEW:
CRIB SHEET (given during exam)
REVIEW BARRONS BOOK (see me)
REVIEW BARRONS ONLINE 
REVIEW APCENTRAL (past FRQs)
REVIEW EDX REVIEW MOOC01 
REVIEW UDEMY REVIEW MOOC02 
REVIEW CODING_BAT 
REVIEW PRACTICE_IT 
REVIEW RUNESTONE 
AUDIT CS50

RECOMMENDED AP CALCULUS REVIEW:
CRIB SHEET (not given during exam) 
REVIEW BARRONS BOOK (see me)
REVIEW BARRONS ONLINE 
REVIEW APCENTRAL (latest AB FRQs)
REVIEW APCENTRAL (latest BC FRQs)
REVIEW APCENTRAL (older AB FRQs)
REVIEW APCENTRAL (older BC FRQs)
REVIEW EDX MOOC01 
REVIEW COURSERA MOOC02

XTRA CREDIT FILKS RUBRIC 
(1 video = up to 5 bonus points):
1) Use a recognizable tune.
2) Karaoke entire song changing up the words (about STEAM).
3) You are Singing, Dancing or Playing an instrument.
4) You upload your video to YouTube and provide the url.
5) YouTube Description includes the lyrics.

XTRA CREDIT ARTICLES RUBRIC
(up to 5 articles = 1 bonus point each):
1) Cover Sheet is a Summary of the article.
2) FullPage, 12 pt, DoubleSpaced, 1" Margin.
3) Article has to be STEAM related
4) Article has to be a current event.
5) Copy of entire article is attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment