Monday, July 16, 2018

MAT225 Multivariable Calculus Partial Derivatives! (SSII 2018 - WEEK02)

MAT225 Multivariable Calculus
Partial Derivatives!
(SSII 2018 - WEEK02)

(Videos at http://www.patreon.com/calcpage2020)
Week02 was all about Partial Derivatives and Applications of Partial Derivatives. We practiced finding first and second partials including mixed partials. Then we used the 2nd Partials Test for Optimization and LaGrange Multipliers for Constrained Optimization to optimize functions of the form z=f(x,y) and w=f(x,y,z). We also revisited Lines, Planes and Quadric Surfaces using Traces and Contour Plots!

When you watch our screencasts for this week you may notice that the first 2 are done in a similar style as those from Week01 and our 3rd recording for this week was a bit different. The reason for this is that my Samsung Galaxy NotePro 12.2 fried it's BlueTooth chip right before our first class. So, I ordered a Samsung Chromebook Plus to replace it. I should have had my new device before the first class of Week01 but my Amazon shipment was stolen at the Post Office and had to be reordered a week later???

Anyway, my first 5 recordings this summer were based on my broken tablet without it's Bluetooth Keyboard. That meant that I had to mirror the PC Desktop to my tablet so I could write notes by hand on the tablet as needed but I could also use the PC Keyboard to type code such that my students could see me doing both in the screencast and on the PC Projector and HDTVs all over the lecture hall. To accomplish this I ran TeamViewer, Xournal and SageCell on Chrome from the PC.

Now everything is back to normal as the Chromebook has a very similar look and feel to my tablet but it also has a flip away (ala Lenovo Yoga) keyboard and trackpad attached! All I have to do is mirror my Chromebook to the PC Podium. I'm using Teamviewer, Squid and SageCall on Chrome from the Chromebook. Teamviewer is a little laggy, I may try SplashTop Personal next week. Teamviewer and SplashTop are free to use if both devices are on the same WiFi network.




Next week is all Iterated Integrals, Area, Volume, Mass, Center Of Mass and calculating Work done by a Force Field in the plane! Think of Double Integrals as Partial Derivatives in reverse?


SageCells (201) Week02 Day01
ReviewD s(t) v(t) a(t)
3D Graphs
Contour Plots
Partial Derivatives
More Partials
2nd Partials


SageCells (202) Week02 Day02
ReviewE a(t) v(t) s(t)
2nd Partials Test
Optimization
More Optimization
Least Squares Regression
New Chain Rule
More New Chain Rule


SageCells (203) Week02 Day03
ReviewF AntiDerivatives
Gradients
More Gradients
Tangent Planes
LaGrange Multipliers
LaGrange & Snell

Filks: Elementary Calculus




RECOMMENDED AP CALCULUS REVIEW:
CRIB SHEET (not given during exam) 
REVIEW BARRONS BOOK 
REVIEW BARRONS ONLINE 
REVIEW DELTAMATH AB CALC FLASH CARDS
REVIEW APCENTRAL (lastest BC FRQs)
REVIEW APCENTRAL (older AB FRQs)
REVIEW APCENTRAL (older BC FRQs)
REVIEW EDX MOOC01 
REVIEW EDX MOOC02 
REVIEW COURSERA MOOC03


XTRA CREDIT FILKS RUBRIC:
1) Use a recognizable tune.
2) Karaoke the whole song, 
2) changing up the words (STEM).
3) You are in the whole video,
3) Singing, Dancing or Playing an instrument.
4) You upload your video to YouTube,
4) providing me with the url.
5) YouTube Description includes the lyrics.

XTRA CREDIT UP T0 5 ARTICLES RUBRIC:
1) Cover Sheet is a Summary of the article.
2) Full Page, 12 pt Font, 
2) Double Spaced, 1" Margins.
3) Article has to be STEM related
4) Article has to be a current event.
5) Copy of entire article is attached.

Well, that's all folks!
Teaching with Technology, 

No comments:

Post a Comment