Sunday, July 1, 2018

MAT225 Multivariable Calculus Getting Organized! (SSII 2018 - WEEK00)

MAT225 Multivariable Calculus
Getting Organized!
(SSII 2018 - WEEK00)

What About Elementary Calculus?

Welcome to my Summer Session II (July) MAT225 Multivariable Calculus aka Calc III class at Nassau Community College! I'm devoting the month of June to getting organized to teach this class. This is a bear of a course to teach in 5 weeks, so we have to get ready!

To that end, I just wrote my syllabus and set up my Edmodo page for this course and sent a mass email to all my students with the Edmodo class code. 

What about Elementary Calculus? Well, I find that students taking this course tend to be a little rusty on concepts from Calculus I & Calculus II especially if they took those courses a while ago. Since Calculus III extends many concepts from Elementary Calculus (MAT122+MAT123 or AP Calclus AB+BC) to higher dimensions, I suppose that a little review is in order. So, at least for the first week or two, we will start each class with a short review of an important topic from Elementary Calculus (Limits & The Difference Quotient, Product Rule and Quotient Rule, Chain Rule, etc).

We will meet for 3 hours per night, 4 nights per week for 5 weeks straight from Monday 7/2/2018 to Thursday 8/2/2018. The first week is different in that we are off Wednesday for The 4th Of July. So, that week will have a Friday class meeting instead. The first 3 days of each week will be devoted to new material. The fourth day will be reserved for review and testing.

What follows is a summary of the first few posts I sent to my students on Edmodo:


FIRST CLASS MEETING
2018.0702 SAGE MONDAY!
TOPIC: Dot Product & Cross Product
SECTION: 13.1-13.4 Vectors
HWK: Watch our SCREENCAST 101 
HWK: Read Each Section Listed Above
HWK: Complete Exercises - mult10




FYI #1) Please make sure to download, print and fill out the attached form before class so you can hand it in first thing during class on 7/2!

FYI #2) TI83/84 are fine for Elementary Calculus but we need more powerful tech: 3D Grapher and Computer Algebra System. I've used graphing calculators such as the TI89/92 line as well as the TI nSpire CX CAS but even these devices are limited. So, we will primarily be using SageCell in class.
(Ti84C)

FYI #3) Since we will be using SageCell in class, I encourage you to bring a WiFi enabled Laptop or Tablet to follow along. Make sure you know how to login to Student WiFi at NCC.
(SAGE Banner)


FYI #4) You may use the graphing calculator of your choice for basic calculations (algebra, trigonometry, preCalculus, Elementary Calculus) but you will want to use SageCell for Multivariable Calculus. SageCell is based on FLOSS. So I use FLOSS every day, do you? FLOSS stands for Free Linux Open Source Software. Paramount among these software packages is Python. We will be learning Math Pythonically! SageCell is free to use online so you can access it in class and at home. There's a commercial version of SAGE called CoCalc if you prefer, but it costs $5 per month per user....
(Sample SageCell)



FYI #5) I will record ScreenCasts in class using MP4 format whenever I cover a new topic. I will also be saving notes from class in PDF format. Please check here after each class so I can share these materials with you. I use Edmodo, YouTube and BlogSpot to share stuff from class.
(Screencast-O-Matic)

FYI #6) Our room, B218, is a large lecture hall that spans 2 stories of the B Cluster. The A/C is pumped in from the roof of the building and is very strong. Cool air tends to pool in the lower level of the room, please dress warmly.
(Kindle Fire HDX Tablet)

FYI #7) So, if I'm not using the MarkerBoards/WhiteBoards in B218, we'll need an IWB (Interactive WhiteBoard aka SmartBoard), right? Nope, we don't have a SmartBoard, but I will mirror (with TeamViewer or SplashTop app) my PC Desktop to my NotePro 12.2 and write on my Tablet as if it were a SmartBoard! 
(My Desktop - B218 Front)

FYI #8) B218 also has a PC Media Center/Podium with multiple PC Projectors and HDTVs so you can see everything I do on my PC. I will be doing everything on my PC so you won't miss a thing if you sit in the upper level or if you miss class (aka on the ScreenCast).
(Your View - B218 Rear)

I got you covered!
Hope that was helpful!
See You in July!

RECOMMENDED AP CALCULUS REVIEW:
CRIB SHEET (not given during exam) 
REVIEW BARRONS BOOK 
REVIEW BARRONS ONLINE 
REVIEW DELTAMATH AB CALC FLASH CARDS
REVIEW APCENTRAL (lastest BC FRQs)
REVIEW APCENTRAL (older AB FRQs)
REVIEW APCENTRAL (older BC FRQs)
REVIEW EDX MOOC01 
REVIEW EDX MOOC02 
REVIEW COURSERA MOOC03


XTRA CREDIT FILKS RUBRIC:
1) Use a recognizable tune.
2) Karaoke the whole song, 
2) changing up the words (STEM).
3) You are in the whole video,
3) Singing, Dancing or Playing an instrument.
4) You upload your video to YouTube,
4) providing me with the url.
5) YouTube Description includes the lyrics.

XTRA CREDIT UP T0 5 ARTICLES RUBRIC:
1) Cover Sheet is a Summary of the article.
2) Full Page, 12 pt Font, 
2) Double Spaced, 1" Margins.
3) Article has to be STEM related
4) Article has to be a current event.
5) Copy of entire article is attached.

Well, that's all folks!
Teaching with Technology, 

No comments:

Post a Comment