Saturday, December 15, 2012

Teaching AP Computer Science: GridWorld Part I!




Teaching AP Computer Science: GridWorld Part I! 

We finally got to start GridWorld! We lost so much class time due to Sandy that I may have to use GridWorld to teach certain concepts that I would teach from our text. We can cover iteration, arrays, inheritance and polymorphism in a GridWorld centric curriculum. I don't usually do this, but the College Board does recommend this method of presenting new Computer Science concepts. I usually use GridWorld to reinforce these topics.

We are done with with GridWorld Part I! This lab has to do BugRunner.java as a "Hello World" program. In other words, we talked about installing GridWorld and what a main class looks like by constructing an ActorWorld object and adding a Bug and a Rock object to that world. We also started Part II discussing BoxBug.java at length!

We are postponing Take Home Tuesdays. We are not ready for Take Home #4 as yet since its about iteration. 

Here's our ScreenCasts and Code for this last week (YouTube embed codes are down):

GridWorld Part I: page 4
http://youtu.be/YPdCbs8lDtc

GridWorld Part I: pages 5-9
http://youtu.be/1Ifs0d5OBhU


myPasteBin code for APCS2012
myProgramr code for APCS2012

Well, that's all folks!
Teaching with Technology, 

No comments:

Post a Comment