Thursday, March 1, 2018

LIMACON 2018 SUNY Old Westbury?

UPDATE: LIMACON 2018 SUNY Old Wesbury?

If it's March it's gotta be LIMACON, right? Nope, not this year. I was not invited as a guest speaker, something about new blood and new ideas? Anyway, I can speak every third year, so I'll go again in 2019. I was thinking of going just as an attendee, but I didn't see any new blood that was of interest, sorry. I usually give my talk and then go to the rest of the conference for free. 

FYI, here's what I spoke about in 2016:

Confessions Of A Presenter At
LIMACON 2016:
Houston We Had A Problem!


You know I'm meticulous about my tech! So I got to my room half an hour early and had everything working. I set up my PC and Projector, Media Center and Projection Screen, my mic, my screencasting software, my pdfs and my mp4s, ... everything! 



Then, right after I started my session, everything fell to pieces! The PC couldn't handle rendering my video as it ran out of hard drive space after only 5 minutes of recording. When I tried to show a video from YouTube, the speakers died! I tested all this stuff before the attendees arrived. I was good to go. IDK what happened!


Not to worry, I covered everything I had to cover in my presentation and then some! In fact, I think the presentation was a great success. I just wanted to record it for YouTube and I wanted to jazz up the presentation with some Calculus Filks. 

Maybe I'll rerecord it sometime this week (I did, see videos above). 

The irony of the situation is that I had my brand new Samsung Galaxy NotePro 12.2" Droid Tablet with me (instead of my laptop). Given enough time, I could have mirrored the PC Desktop to my Tablet over WiFi controlling everything from my Tablet like a remote SmartBoard and recorded the whole thing right on the Tablet. 

However, I did not want to waste the attendees' time with all that, so I skipped all the tech except for my primary focus: teaching Calculus with 



I even sang when the audio went out. 

In retrospect, I should have set up the Tablet in the first place.

BTW, I've been attending LIMACON at SUNY Old Westbury since 1986 and presenting since 2001.


Here's some related talks
Here's my SAGECELLs



Here's my Handouts













Here's the FILKs and YouTube Videos!



Well, that's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment